[PLUG] Indian languages on Ubuntu

Aditya Godbole aag.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 15:27:08 IST 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Manish<prolist at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently shifted to exclusive Linux machine, and have installed
> Ubuntu as my workstation. I used to use Barha on Windows to type in
> Indian languages, but Barha is not available for Ubuntu. I'd like to
> know what alliterative software I can use so that I can directly type in
> Indic languages on my local machine. I'd prefer s/w like Barha direct
> that will allow me to type in any active window including chat clients,
> text boxes on the websites etc.
>
> Any suggestions?

As suggested in an earlier reply, install the indic fonts and locales.
Install scim. You can search on the web on how to do the above. Ask
here in case you can't get it. I don't use a desktop environment on
ubuntu, so I don't know how to integrate scim with any of them. If you
run scim-setup, you can get a configuration window where you can
specify the keyboard shortcut to switch the language (layout).
If you are confortable with an indscript layout, and you are using
gnome, you can just add the keyboard layout applet to the panel. I
think you won't need to fiddle around with scim in that case.

-aditya