[PLUG] Minutes of PLUG meet held on 05-0902009

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Tue Sep 8 07:50:31 IST 2009

On Tuesday 08 September 2009 06:52:28 Sriram Narayanan wrote:
> > When it comes to
> > huge organisations with inertia, corporate or otherwise, such things
> > matter.
>
> +1 to that. Reliability and stability matter a lot indeed.

If you use a stable distro like RHEL/CentOS 5, which has guaranteed support
for 7 years, with no change except bug fixes, you *could* achieve the same
effect.

On the flip side, that misses a lot of software update. Linux users have
choice, either go with some degree of up-to-date stuff e.g.
fedoa/ubuntu/suse/mandriva with a nearly yearly release or be on the edge with
archlinux(my new home, yay! :) ) or worship stability and use rhel/centos.

Choice is great but if all of them are equally useful(or not!), it really does
not matter which is the worst case including the other major OS ^_^.

Huge organizations should have a test bed to test the update and catch such
problems that makes past formal testing by distros. So either way, the end
users are not/should not be seeing this kind of bugs.

--
 Shridhar