[PLUG] Kernel panic

Kaustubh Gadkari kaustubh.gadkari at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 23:32:50 IST 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Vinay Kabra <vinaykabra87 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I am trying compile kernel linux-2.6.15.7 on a intel dual core and intel
> core 2 duo machine. But after compilation completes i am getting following
> lines on booting :
>
> cannot open root device "<NULL>"
> kernel - panic - not syncing : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on unknown
> block (253,0)

What steps did you follow to compile the kernel? Did you compile the
support for your filesystem into the kernel, or as a module? If you
are including filesystem support as a module, you will have to make an
initrd with the filesystem module include.

Try man mkinitrd.

Kaustubh

--
Kaustubh Gadkari
kaustubh [dot] gadkari [at] gmail [dot] com