[PLUG] Suggestion or Ideas for including LINUX based event(competition) for a College EVENT

Abhishek Sharma emote2abhishek at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 02:43:10 IST 2010

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Dnyanraj Mali <dnyanraj.mali at gmail.com>wrote:

> Guys,
>
> If you want people to use Linux & make them like it, you must remove
> fear(make them comfortable) of Linux. You need to show them all the things
> they do in windows can be done in Linux with more security, without any
> virus attack.

      I started with that(precisely) in college instead of digging into the
technical details.. Showing off the cool things in Linux by showing some
basic Code hacking,Compiz effects,Virus freedom,Virtual BOX,Cool themes. A
feel of Full control and exploration but all this all had no effect onto my
juniors to be honest. We also made a few simple PIDGIN plugin to show what
work they can do but ALAS.

I believe no one can teach u Linux in depth and forever unless u are
self-inclined. (Apart from a handful(2-3) students (in the whole department)
no-one wants to enter this beautiful world). To be honest the system is to
be blamed, the focus of learning is on wrong things otherwise there is so
much fun and so much stuff to learn. Nevertheless we are making our efforts.

 Teachers have some substantial and oriental effect on students but
unfortunately they are themselves unaware of things. I think if some
continous oreintation can be done for the faculty maybe in the years to come
we might see some grass grown in the desert.

> So you can arrange a game competition in Linux, search for games like
> Quake,
> CS in Linux, show them how to connect to internet, how to play movies songs
> etc..

   Games in Linux seems to be in good IDEA.

> I have seen many students do their programming in Linux *BECAUSE it is in
> Syllabus.. *
>
>     The only thing the students are actually taught to do is "HOW TO
COMPILE C PROGRAM in GCC" nothing beyond that.
    The joke is they keep many of their codes in various directories coz
"./a.out" keeps getting replaced as they compile, instead of giving a name
to the executable they do this.