[PLUG] Ad-hoc connection with win7 and Ubuntu 9.10.

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 16:23:02 IST 2010

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 7:25 PM, Sagar Belure <sagarbelure at ymail.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I had asked configuration regarding making ad-hoc between win7 and ubuntu 9.10, someone at ubuntuforums.org suggested me to look into samba configurations for this stuff!
>
> Unfortunately, it has got HUGE options, and cudnt find anything particular about ad-hoc.

By ad-hoc, I presume allowing file shares (from your Linux system) on the "fly"?

Samba connections are no different than Windows File sharing
connections for "shares" exported by other Windows desktops/servers on
the LAN.  Just as in Windows you have to specifically allow files to
be shared over the network, the same is true for Samba.

With a basic "workgroup" setup in Samba, you can export parts of your
Linux filesystem to be shared by other Windows users on the LAN.

There is no ad-hoc v/s permanent connections please get that out of
your thinking.

-- Arun Khan