[PLUG] Looking at distros for old desktops

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Sun Jan 10 20:38:29 IST 2010

On Sunday 10 January 2010 14:16:25 Arindam wrote:
> The other system for which I am doing this distro hunt has 512 Megs.
> It tends to be a little slow with the FreeBSD 6.1 that it currently
> has (this is from 2006). Given Ubuntu's similarity with Debian, was
> wondering if it will be any different. Was wondering there is a distro
> still around which can be trimmed adequately to be performant on this
> machine.

I have run arch linux on a 1G machine with KDE4 and a windows VM of 256MB.
Although VM brought it to a slower side because it starts hitting swap, so
long as you keep using VM continuously, you won't notice a thing.

1G is plenty. 512 is sufficient. 256 is where things get interesting :) (I
lost context of original post, so dunno what RAM that system has)

--
 Shridhar