[PLUG] Notes on Upgrading... (Report: Successfully Completed Upgrade)

म.हा.सा.ग.र o.s.h.o at guruvision.com
Fri Jul 16 17:44:32 IST 2010

2010/7/13 म.हा.सा.ग.र <o.s.h.o at guruvision.com>:
> helpful notes here
> <http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2010.1_Notes#General_Upgrading_Steps>
>
> Don't remember having seen such in the past...
> --
> "Indeed, for those in need!"

Reporting successful upgrade following these steps (eating my own
manfood for the list)

There were couple of places where I felt that these instructions could
be better...

I followed command line and for some reason GUI kicked me out after
about 10 minutes... when I did CTL-ALT-F1 it was showing something
like restarting initrd (or something similar ...) that I have
forgotten to note down.  So I rebooted shorting after starting the
upgrade process.

(I basically switched the computer on-off 4 times (for my own reasons
that it traveled with me) and completed the process.)

To ensure no (or minimal) hiccups from the second boot (first reboot
after upgrade started), i entered "linux single" user mode and run
"init 3"  There by reducing the (imaginary) problems of unbalanced
update...
{This was done after noticing a problem of new kernel and old modules
not working together in the upgrade process.  So I rebooted the old
kernel and went ahead as reported above.}

I think kernel should have been upgraded way later in the process
which is not the case (may be I am not technically qualified to make
such a statement but hey, I am the sufferer :-)

Overall these instructions helped a lot in "understanding and
planning" the complete upgrade process.

Wish to thank the (person or) team responsible for these detailed steps...