[PLUG] [OT] Re: Government Sponsored Vendor lock

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Thu Jul 29 00:44:08 IST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:51:37PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> If at all there are some positive indicators - at least a small subset of
> countless political parties and some state Govts in India have shown
> inclination to adoption of FOSS in Govt.  (Lost the links on this though
> will recover and post a few later).

Sorry about the length of the mail. The purpose is to just show a ray of
hope that all is not lost for FOSS in our political / Govt system.

I used to follow news of adoption of FOSS in Govts. Just did a fresh
survey through web searches to compile this, as this topic is on:

Kerala Govt: Very strong adoption:

http://foss.kerala.nic.in/
http://www.catfoss.kerala.gov.in/
http://public-software-centre.org/taxonomy/term/3
http://www.public-software.in/foss-kerala

"Each MLA from Kerala to get Ubuntu laptop"
http://public-software-centre.org/taxonomy/term/3

Heartening to see secretariat, Police and various other departments' staff
being trained on Linux, open office etc.
http://www.itmission.kerala.gov.in/ (See FOSS section)

Kerala Electricity Board runs on FOSS
http://www.kseb.in/news/ksebs-new-look-web-site-to-offer-online-customer-services.html

Gujarat:
"Govt decided to use only Linux operating system, the open-source free software, in the computers installed in 3,650 schools"
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/ahmedabad/Gujarat-set-to-follow-Keralas-LDF-in-IT-education/articleshow/6153110.cms

Maharshtra - well not exactly a positive news
http://www.gnu.org.in/delegation-meets-education-secretary-of

Central Govt:
Well at least this site is there:
http://www.mit.gov.in/content/free-and-open-source-software