[PLUG] linux compatible tv tuner card

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Wed Jun 2 19:28:19 IST 2010

On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 06:43:48PM +0530, Sudhanwa Jogalekar wrote:
> I have tried many TV tuner cards available in the market. Most of them
> are supported only on Windows.

Some of them do not mention Linux though they do work. The manufacturer
may be either unaware or ignorant though somebody may have made the card
work already.

"bttv" is one such project and the supported card list should be
searchable.

> If you know any TV tuner card or any other grabber card that can work
> on Linux, please let me know the model/make/manufacturer/price ( and
> if possible, where it will be available)

I have been using "Pixelview PlayTV Pro 2" for several years (Since RH9
days; it may be outdated by now) without any problem. It has got FM radio
and A/V and RF inputs plus remote. (I didn't try getting the remote work
as yet, though.)

However, look for those with hardware mpeg encoding preferably so that for
audio you do not have to use PC's line in or microphone separately.

> If you have any other suggestions for this exercise, do send them to me..

If your camcorder has a/v out you don't necessarily need a TV tuner. Some
of the video cards come with a/v in as well as out. That is useful if you
want bidirectional use such as playing a movie on TV.

For streaming there are devices like "Pinnacle PCTV To Go HD Wireless"
(OEM "Monsoon Multimedia Hava Wireless HD") that stream directly over your
wifi/ethernet network. It appeared a good product though way too costly if
one is ok with a PC doing the job with the help of appropriate cards.

Mayuresh.