[PLUG] How to recover data from deleted partition

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 16:10:28 IST 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Nishit Dave <stargazer.dave at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Chaitannya Mahatme <chaitannya at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>> I accidently deleted the first primary partition (didn't have any data on
>> it,  was simply boot partition)
>>
>> Now my ubuntu Linux is unable to find secondary partition related
>> information. How do I recover the data on secondary partition .
>>

> If you haven't written anything on the disk since, try gpart.  Read this
> blog post for more:
> http://davelok.blogspot.com/2010/06/great-hard-disk-disaster-of-december.html

testdisk (included in rescue cd) is also good for recovering deleted
partitions or lost partitions as it happened to me a couple of days
ago.  One of my engineer's desktop would not boot - all partitions
were lost.  fdisk -l showed no partition table.  With test disk I was
able to recover the partitions.  re-install grub (again using rescue
cd) and boot the system.

-- Arun Khan