[PLUG] [fsug-goa] (OT) Computer system from Pune launched in CEBIT !! Runs FOSS!!

Raseel Bhagat raseelbhagat at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 14:19:02 IST 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:26 AM, steve <steve at lonetwin.net> wrote:

> ^^^^^ That right there is why I predict this device will go the simputer
> way, ie: it will fail to make the impact that it should !!
>
> Why do I say that ? Well, what else can you expect when people send some
> clueless PHBs to tech expos to present a system which is basically a
> freaking impressive piece of hardware ! Here is what was wrong:
>
> a. The guy didn't seemed confused whether the processor was samsumg
> manufactured or TI manufactured.
>
> b. The most impressive bits -- 3G, GPS and *3.5 Watts* consumption (which I
> personally am a bit skeptical about -- even the OLPC is not that power
> efficient) are added as afterthoughts after the person creating the video
> asked about it. The guy instead choose to focus on an OO
> *2-point-freaking-4* demo !! gah !!
>
> c. The guy mentions 'education' as a /major/ sector where this can be used,
> but cannot explain why !!! (aaaahhhh !!)
>
> d. The guy touts the touch screen as an important feature (which it isn't,
> according to the pamphlet in front, that is an optional addon) but prefer to
> demo the solar panel only in context of the carry on case !!! wtf ??!!!??
>
> e. They are looking for partners to tie up with for creating software
> applications, but not a single specific note about the platform !!
> ...besides saying ...oh, it's ubun-sorry-lee-nux
>
> Now, besides sending idiots like that to present something innovative at a
> tech expo, here is why I think this will still fail -- It tries to be the
> complete solution for all problems -- low power ...with webcam ? ...
> fingerprint reader ? ...smart card reader ? ... touch screen ? ...tv out ? I
> fail to see a use case where /all/ those would be /necessary/ while also
> targeting the low-cost segment who do not want/cannot afford a netbook.
>
> *sigh* ...what a waste of good talent(*).

Lol ! Steve I agree to the fact that  the person in question seems a bit
hesitant.
The product manager of the devices should have been present and the Exec
should have been around only to finalise the partner deals.

However, if you have seen videos of trade shows like ESC, etc, this is very
common :-)

But the real question is what do you feel about the device, discounting the
person demoing it.

--
Raseel