[PLUG] How to execute a shell script from an html web page

Abhijit Bhopatkar bain at devslashzero.com
Thu Mar 11 22:13:47 IST 2010

>> Hey all,
>>      I wish to execute a shell script from a simple html page. When I click
>> on a submit button on the html page the script should execute. How do I do
>> this? Any help is appriciated...
> Most langs have something like a SYSTEM() function.
>
> Like in python
>
> import os
>
> os.system(" sh ~path-to-your-script ")
>
> that should do it.

Be careful though,
if the script runs with priviledges an "rm -rf /" will be devestating.
And anybody with http access will be able to carry it out.
A less damaging part will be wiping out whatever the web server has
access to do.

Side point: The command executed this way will inherit web server's
privileges. (unless suid bit is set on the execs ... but everyone
knows not to do that).

Abhijit