[PLUG] Btrfs more than twice as fast compared to ext4

Vishal Rao vishalrao at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 07:00:17 IST 2010

I've managed to boot into btrfs as root fs using a separate ext4 boot
partition in
ubuntu 10.04 following http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1389279 but
with some shortcuts to avoid patching grub2 (just created an entry in

did a few quick stuff but main thing was "hdparm -t /dev/sdaX" showed btrfs
about 3% *slower* (~194 MBps) compared to ext4 (~201 MBps) on my SSD.

will rerun this hdparm read test shortly after booting into non-btrfs root in
case the fact that it is mounted as root is causing some issues...

"Thou shalt not follow the null pointer for at its end madness and chaos lie."