[PLUG] [TOOL-Release] TMAC for Linux

Sagar Belure sagar.belure at gmail.com
Fri May 7 11:34:32 IST 2010

Hi list,

I know. Looking at the subject, many people would have already been saying
that "What the heck? Why do I need a MAC-address-changer for my linux? When
I already have 'one-command-solution' for that. Its so simple...

*user at localhost:~$ sudo ifconfig wlan0 hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx*

See? It's done."

But, isn't that a pain, when you have to do the same thing everytime you
login to your system?
The response I would expect is "What crap? All I need to do is - just put
that command in *$HOME/.bashrc*. It's simple as that."

Now, what if, you want to randomize it each and everytime you login to your
system?
"mmm... [:-/] "
And, what if, you are settin the MAC address of your NIC with some random
hex-chars, whose vendor still to be born on the earth?
"mmm... [:-/] "

So, the purpose of making this tool, was to generate a random-MAC address
from a KNOWN MAC-vendors list and assigning the same to specified device.
That is why, it needs 2 files to work. One, a text file containing a list of
MAC-vendors, used "AS IS" and can be found from IEEE website
http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt
and other one, being the bash program.

Also, there can be a question like "Why, on the earth, do I ever need to
change my MAC address?"
I would ask those ones with this question in mind to go through this link
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/22/google_streetview_logs_wlans/

Well Google, anyway knows a lot about you and me.

So, this is it. I'm really happy to release this tool and little curious
though, to receive the suggestions from you people and any kind of feedback
would be appreciable.
I know, there must be lot more improvements to make it work better.
So, this is my request all of Linux users, please try this once at least and
send me your suggestions/feedback.
I really would like to hear ANY kind of feedback about it, doesn't matter,
even if someone would like to warn me with "Never ever, TRY TO MAKE SUCH
KIND OF TOOL AGAIN or I'm gonna sue you, coz my system got crashed as soon
as i RUN your tool."

Moreover, if you want to make this tool run each time you login and
randomize your MAC address. I would suggest you, appending the command '*bash
$PWD/tmac.sh -R <device>*' in the '*$HOME/.bashrc*' file.

Well, for Windows users, as they already must be knowing about TMAC,
Technitium MAC Address Changer. More
info<http://www.technitium.com/tmac/index.html>
.

Download tmac-v1.0.tar.gz<http://www.secfence.com/downloads/tmac-v1.0.tar.gz>