[PLUG] ITR e-filing on Linux

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Thu May 27 18:49:20 IST 2010

Income tax department provides MS Excel based software (Excel sheets) for
preparing income tax returns on this page:

https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/individual_huf.do

They state MS Excel as a system requirement for using this.

If anyone has tried/succeeded in e-filing returns using this software on
Linux (using Openoffice / otherwise) please do post your experience.

I could see that the file seems to open fine in oocalc and I could also
enable Macros which were disabled by default. Worry is more about
following aspects:

- Functioning of all macros properly (non-working of some of which may
  cause data integrity issues. Worse if such issues are hard to notice.)
- Generation of a "valid" xml file that will be loadable correctly on
  e-filing website.

Mayuresh.