[PLUG] Whether to choose ext3 or ext4

Ghodechhap ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Sat Nov 20 11:57:59 IST 2010

On Saturday 20 November 2010 11:20:30 Mayuresh wrote:
> I am looking to format a new HDD for use with Linux.  The drive will be
> mainly used as backup drive.
>
> I'd not like to go with btrfs as yet.
> Would prefer to choose between ext3 and ext4.
>
> I have been using ext3 on all my systems till now and didn't face any
> problems. But wondering whether I should choose ext4 over it just because
> it's a higher version.
>
> I read some general information about the two. ext4 has larger volume
> handling capabilities etc. which I am not looking for.
>
> On the contrary, there are some disadvantages mentioned like "potential
> data loss" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4) which makes me a little
> apprehensive about ext4:
>
> Can someone advise?

Use ext4. its faster that ext3 in general and has faster fsck. Mount option
auto_da_alloc takes care of possibility of of data loss. Besides most data
loss cases are reported on config files which are written, closed and renamed
without an fsync. Thats a case not applicable for backup purposes.

and I still recommend btrfs :) You can snapshot the data and access it at
will. Something very important for backup drive.

--
Regards
 Shridhar