[PLUG] FOSS Activity and Non-Technical People

Vinayak Kulkarni kulkarnivd2007 at yahoo.co.in
Thu Sep 30 19:21:58 IST 2010

Hi Dnyaraj

Thanks for the information.
I now come to know that where I fell short while convincing that canteen guy.

But now let us keep this case aside and focus on what Mayuresh has said.

>>Costs don't help win users over a sufficiently long period of time. One
>>reason could be piracy. But look at the count of great many people who do
>>pay for it - either through a branded computer purchase or from market and
>>also the corporate entities.
>>
>>Leave the pirates, what can FOSS community to do to attract these people
>>to whom cost is not an issue (as they are willing to pay)?
>>
>>The rest will follow.

What should we and foss do in such cases.

once again I have case to discuss (.. do not get angry as I have many more cases to discuss. :) )

Engineering colleges use matlab & rationalrose software in their academics(..as everybody knows this).
and there are very few colleges who are accepting the free and open source alternative of matlab & rational rose.
What is the thing about rest of the colleges?
When we raised this issue in our college, our administration said that when they are ready to pay then why we should worry about this issue.

And also as they are ready to pay for the software they are not ready to change their systems(.. I mean to say that install Linux on large no of pc) for the Free and Open Source Software.

Vinayak D. Kulkarni
(Col_VIN)