[PLUG] Fwd: [lugj] NIC India == .Net Implementation Center : Fight Back

nmudgal techno.x007 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 13:51:23 IST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: vikash singh <vikashsinghcse at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:56 PM
Subject: [lugj] NIC India == .Net Implementation Center : Fight Back
To: lugj at googlegroups.com

It seems the proverb "*Elephant's Chewing Teeth are different from
Exhibiting Teeth*" rightly matches as the situation of NIC

It seems *NIC is actually .Net Implementation Center.* All the NIC sites are
made in .net
(except our national site i.e. india.gov.in and few of its sub sites which I
am really proud of as they have followed Web Standards)

I just came across .net based Ministry of Rural Development Portal
http://ruraldiksha.nic.in/main.aspx that is supposed to provide DIKSHA to
rural areas (through PAID RESTRICTED SOFTWARE ENVIRONMENT)

So one thing for sure that either there are no hard and fast standard
defined for what platform to use (or may be not followed even when defined)

What can be the reason:
*1. There is unawareness about FOSS
2. The Tender System where the tender document os not specific and strict on
selection of FOSS
3. FOSS communities do not care about such tenders and let it go to
proprietary supporters
*
Now the point is why is popularity of such proprietary tools increased when
FOSS alternatives exist:

1. Proprietary Companies see to it that they reach every organization for
demonstration and also provide evaluation packages to them. Some also
provide those software for free.

2. On other hand FOSS supporters, crib that they are doing some sort of Non
Profit work and they cant go at that extent to conduct such FREE Demos for
FREE Software

3. When the proprietary companies get the project and some (small civilian)
Foss supporter report it to FOSS community, *he/she is humiliated and told
that it is a way of business* and we cannot do anything about it due to lack
of alternatives (even when there are many)

4. This means that FOSS Community is just for playing Mail-Mail game OR
part-time mailing list fun.

5. Due to this attitude, people crib saying that FOSS community doesn't
provide morale support, and proprietary companies even when they charge
provide support

*FOSS communities of India should standup and work together !! We at Delhi
Going to organize a peaceful protest against "Software Corruption" *
*
Software Corruption Or Software Ghotala is a name given to process where a
Government do not choose Must better Free Software/Open-Source Software and
waste tax payer's money for purchasing some proprietary software again and
again.*

Groups "lug-jaipur" group.

Nitin Mudgal
Open the source