[PLUG] X doesnt work in 11.04 ubuntu.

Ameet Gholap amitrgholap at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 10:30:54 IST 2011

On 30 April 2011 09:22, Arun Tomar <tomar.arun at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/29/11 08:07, Ameet Gholap wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> 10.10 to 11.04 upgrade messed up my system. X doesnt start.
>> Only the net connection works. I have found a workaround!
>>
>> Provide default key-ring during starting. GUI not seen. Only mouse
>> pointer and blank screen.
>> Now press power. Ubuntu asks for shutdown, restart etc Help and Cancel
>> buttons available.
>> Click Help to launch help and cancel to abort shutdown.
>> Now from that help window, use menus to ask for "Online Help".
>> FF launches.
>>
>> Using that firefox, I am now mailing asking for help.
>>
>> How can I repair my system?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> ~A.
>> (\./)
>> (o.o)
>> ( X )
>> This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help achieve world
>> domination.

> Ameet,
>
> I'm assuming that you upgraded your system from the package manager with
> dist-upgrade. Well the best way to test whether your graphics card will work
> with 11.04 would be to have a live cd/dvd and run it. if it runs well, then
> you'll know for sure, that 11.04 should run on your system without any
> problem.
>
> now, if your X is giving you errors, first thing is to check the logs. you
> can goto terminal press "CTRL+ALT+F1" or F2 - F6 to goto any of the tty's.
> login and then check the log files for X, /var/log/X.log. It'll surely give
> you the cause of the problem. paste the entire X.log file to some pastebin
> and put the link here to us to review it. you can install pastebinit or
> wgetpastebin. by these utils, you can paste the entire file to pastebin via
> command line. One you get the cause or exact error, then we could suggest
> further solution.
>
> Arun.

While browsing thru FF, it crashed and I guess brought the X down with it.
gdm start from tty1.
Now I was prompted for username pwd etc.
I guickly selected unity 2D and then logged in.
Now things are ok in U2D.
1 issue I am now facing is that the max/min and close buttons are not seen
(neither on left, nor on right side).
But then thats easy to find out on the net.
Thx.