[PLUG] Tata Docomo 3g Internet on CentOS 6

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 09:38:37 IST 2011

On Aug 22, 2011 9:12 AM, "Pravin Sonawane" <june.pravin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just installed CentOS 6 on my laptop (Compaq Pressario V3000 series).
> But I'm unable to configure Tata Docomo Internet 3g on it.

Please check if you have usb_modeswitch (or usb-modeswitch) installed, and
if not, install it and the usb_modeswitch-data package. If they are not
included in the CenOS repos, which is highly unlikely, you can download them
from http://draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch.

Plug your modem in, wait for a moment for it to settle, then run as root
"usb_modeswitch -I -W -c /path/to/usb_modeswitch.conf"

Substitute the actual path in the command above.

Check your dmesg output to see if the modem has been attached to
/dev/ttyUSB0 etc. or to /dev/gsmmodem. Also check lsusb output to see if the
device is listed.

Then, modify a wvdial script to use the modem and run it to start your
connection. Your username and password both will probably be "internet". The
number to dial for 3G is *99# usually, and for EVDO it is #777.

If usb_modeswitch is already installed and your network manager gui is not
providing you the settings for Tata Docomo 3G, you should still update the
package so that the latest information is available to the system.

HTH