[PLUG] Tata Docomo 3g Internet on CentOS 6

Pravin Sonawane june.pravin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 09:57:33 PDT 2011


  On 08/22/2011 09:38 AM, Nishit Dave wrote:
> On Aug 22, 2011 9:12 AM, "Pravin Sonawane"<june.pravin at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I just installed CentOS 6 on my laptop (Compaq Pressario V3000 series).
>> But I'm unable to configure Tata Docomo Internet 3g on it.
>>
> Please check if you have usb_modeswitch (or usb-modeswitch) installed, and
> if not, install it and the usb_modeswitch-data package. If they are not
> included in the CenOS repos, which is highly unlikely, you can download them
> from http://draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch.
>
> Plug your modem in, wait for a moment for it to settle, then run as root
> "usb_modeswitch -I -W -c /path/to/usb_modeswitch.conf"
>
> Substitute the actual path in the command above.
>
> Check your dmesg output to see if the modem has been attached to
> /dev/ttyUSB0 etc. or to /dev/gsmmodem. Also check lsusb output to see if the
> device is listed.
>
> Then, modify a wvdial script to use the modem and run it to start your
> connection. Your username and password both will probably be "internet". The
> number to dial for 3G is *99# usually, and for EVDO it is #777.
>
> If usb_modeswitch is already installed and your network manager gui is not
> providing you the settings for Tata Docomo 3G, you should still update the
> package so that the latest information is available to the system.
>
> HTH
> _______________________________________
> Pune GNU/Linux Users Group Mailing List

Dear Nishit,
     Thankyou for your reply! :)

     But I was able to do it... W/o usb_modeswitch or wvdial.

     Here's how I did it.
     There was a tar.gz file provided with my USB Modem device (PFA). I 
knew that it didn't work because it always gave a successful 
installation even though it didn't find some files.

     But after I ran the setup, I found that my modem manufacturer's 
name (ZTE) was now visible when I tried to setup a 'mobile broad band' 
under 'network     configurations' (The device was already properly 
detected by the OS before running the setup. Below is the output of the 
/proc/bus/usb/devices file)

-------------------
-------------------
T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=04 Cnt=01 Dev#=  6 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=19d2 ProdID=2003 Rev= 0.00
S:  Manufacturer=ZTE,Incorporated
S:  Product=ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM
S:  SerialNumber=MF6310ZTED010000
C:* #Ifs= 5 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=500mA
I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=option
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=4ms
I:* If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=option
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=4ms
I:* If#= 2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=option
E:  Ad=83(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=03(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=4ms
I:* If#= 3 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=option
E:  Ad=84(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=  64 Ivl=2ms
E:  Ad=85(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=04(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=4ms
I:* If#= 4 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
E:  Ad=05(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=86(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
[root at laptop ~]#

After this, I continued with the normal 'Mobile Broadbad' configuration 
with the following settings:

Basic: Number = *99#
Advanced: APN = tatadocomo3g

and after a couple of restarts, 'safely-remove-drive', etc... I had an 
active internet connection... :)

Hope this helps someone with a similar issue.. ;)

Regards,
Pravin Sonawane




More information about the plug-mail mailing list