[PLUG] printcap entry for HP printer

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Wed Dec 7 20:18:45 IST 2011

Any non - cups (good old lpd) user out there can share printcap entry for
a typical HP deskjet printer?

Why not cups - Doesn't work on NetBSD for me, basically because hplip
doesn't.

hplip does not work well on NetBSD. It does not detect the printer. I
think it's written in highly Linux centric way.

My system is able to detect printer device and I can send data to it using
lpr command. However the paper moves in very slowly and comes out blank!

My current entry looks like this:

lp|HP|HP_F380:\
:lp=/dev/ulpt0:\
#:af=/usr/pkg/share/foomatic/ppd/HP/HP-DeskJet_F300-hpijs.ppd:\
#:if=/usr/pkg/bin/foomatic-rip:\
:sh:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

Mayuresh.