[PLUG] Anyone using / can advise on FreeBSD/NetBSD?

Amarendra Godbole amarendra.godbole at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 11:54:14 IST 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/06/2011 08:57 AM, sam oak wrote:
>> I use Open BSD. The footprint is extremely minimal. One has to install,
>> almost everything other than the core OS, by hand.
>> Open BSD is one of the robust most operating systems in the world. Gients
>> such as Google uses Open BSD at the server end. One of the experts of Open
>> BSD, whom I know very well, is Amarendra Godbole (Symantec)
> Haven't heard of Google using anything but Linux on the server.  Reference?

Most companies use OpenBSD on to secure their periphery, especially
with pf. Though there is no direct link, there is something that
suggests it: http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-cvs&m=114780959425558 Quiet a
few OpenBSD and OpenSSH developers work at Google, as well.

Though none of the above guarantee or force Google to use OpenBSD,
lack of a similar or better secure OS may be one reason why a company
like Google will consider using OpenBSD. :-)