[PLUG] Anyone using / can advise on FreeBSD/NetBSD?

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Sat Jul 16 12:57:24 IST 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 11:43:44PM +0530, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> And since you are dabbling, can you try pc-bsd? is it the fedora of BSD world?
> I want to try it but don't have much time of that.
>
> --
> Regards
>  Shridhar

To the extent I understand pc-bsd is more or less same as FreeBSD, though
its installer etc are `friendlier'.

I was happy with FreeBSD's installation etc. So perhaps there is nothing
new I'll get from pc-bsd.

For my usage, I find the performance of a Linux system to be better - file
system + X server + whatever I observed with certain CPU bound test
programs - as a combination of factors it works better for me.

It was Fedora in my case, though I think these factors have more to do
with core Linux. Besides, there is little `Fedoraness'  in the way I
install and use my system. I use Fedora more for historical reasons.

I am retaining all three installations for fun and experimentation. Will
post if I find anything remarkable.

Mayuresh.