[PLUG] [Ilugc] Kohacon Registration page - Co-presenter anybody?

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 17:36:27 IST 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 4:25 PM, Rajagopal Swaminathan
<raju.rajsand at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am planning to experiment and present CentOS as a robust High
> Availability Platform for Applications like KOHA/DRUPAL etc. I don't
> know what I will Land up with though over the course of time.

Please define your concept of High Availability  -  people have
different ideas on these buzz words.

> Some of the question I am looking at in a practical viewpoint of an
> Application and IT infrastructure Architect are:
>
> 1. We need to look at lifetime of the application like KOHA - perhaps
> 10 year in the timeline of a library?

I think 10+ years is a reasonable time frame.  Version upgrades surely
but changing to some other package - the migration cost could be
prohibitive.

> 2. Is the quick changing Fedora/Ubuntu stand the trial?

Don't know what you mean by this.   IMO anybody using Fedora as a
server platform and that too in production ... I know people are doing
it ...  In one instance, I was forced to install a version of Fedora
(which was no longer supported at that time) because the vendor's app
was certified only on that version!

> 3. What is the interaction between DSpace etc?
> 4. Can they both be running in HA peacefully?

IMO, if ERP apps can run in VMs then Koha and DSpace can also run in
respective VM.

> I must declare that I am not going to invest INR(Money) in this. I
> can't afford HA hardware at this point of time.

What is HA hardware?   Do you really need enterprise grade servers to
demonstrate your Proof of Concept or present your paper?  For a Proof
of Concept this can be achieved with mid range desktop(s) that support
Linux KVM.  (system board + cpu cost 13-15K).

> Would anybody like to join me in presenting a paper or experimenting?

I think it would be better if you first present an executive summary
of your paper/experiment.

Best,
-- Arun Khan