[PLUG] Airtel router issue

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 12:51:04 IST 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 4:38 PM, Sarang Lakare <sarang.lakare at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I know. But I am unable to login to my Airtel router to see the IP
> address assigned to it. Only then I can check if my public IP is same as the
> router IP. I am quite sure they will be the same, and if so, it probably
> means that Airtel is cutting off all inbound ports somewhere down the line
> as Arun mentioned.

Once you know your public IP (as suggested by using What's my IP
service), from an IP outside of your local setup (WAN preferred) do
"telnet <IP> port#.  e.g. telnet aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd 22   (this works for
any TCP protocol service).

You know the ports that you have opened - if the connection times out
(or rejected), then Airtel is indeed blocking incoming ports.  On
consumer services they probably do not want you to run servers behind
their modem and are blocking termination to some of the popular
services.

My dus paise.

-- Arun Khan