[PLUG] Question about companies and open source applications

Amarendra Godbole amarendra.godbole at gmail.com
Sun May 8 09:17:57 IST 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 7:42 AM, Nikhil Karkare <nkarkare at gmail.com> wrote:
> No. I did not buy the product. I already have the biggest Linux deployment
> amongst schools, with GCompris installed. I don't think talking will help
> much, but worth a try.
> Should I make a list of companies who do this? Maybe make a blacklist which
> is publicly available?
[...]

Your approach suggests you to be under 30, with a lot of real-world
inexperience. If you have a large amount of money in your account, and
are capable of facing legal music, you can make a public list, and
shout from the rooftop about how evil these companies are. All those
people who are encouraging you on the list will run away at the drop
of a hat, if it comes to the court of law.

IMHO, best option to use and adopt Linux, is appreciate the goodies it
provides, and use them while keeping the legalities to the
foss-legal-eagles. And you asking about freedom? Well, you have to
look at the BSD license then.

My personal, skewed, but real-world opinion.

-Amarendra