[PLUG] Interview of Linus Torvalds; He Also Speaks Of Sad Situation Of India

Swapnil Bhartiya swapnil.bhartiya at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 05:41:22 IST 2011

India is kind of somewhat a sad situation. Compared to the amount of
educated people, I think India is fairly low on the list compared to
what it could be. Culturally it should be fairly easy, because language
barriers should not be there. If you are educated in India, you know
English even if it is not your first language. So India actually should
have an easier time being involved in some of the discussions. Don't get
me wrong, there are developers, but just not as many as I would expect.
And I don't know quite why.

There is a fair amount of really enthusiastic local LUGs and I get to
hear about them. But, at the same time I don't know India, you know much
better. My gut feeling is that a lot of the actual professional
developers in India see software development as a job and not as a
hobby. That's the kind of picture I've gotten, I don't know if it's
true. If you see it [software development] as a job and not as a hobby
the whole open source thing is not as natural anymore.

http://www.muktware.com/news/2855
--
Editor: Muktware.com<br>
Skype: No Way...its non-free. Looking for alternatives<br>