[PLUG] Good smtp setup

शंतनू shantanoo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 12:37:20 IST 2011

On 10-Sep-2011, at 8:30 AM, Mayuresh wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 04:14:57AM +0530, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
>
> Let me restore the focus of the thread a bit.
>
> I want to use smtp daemon that will manage a queue of outgoing mails and
> use a relay host to send mails.
>
> Many of them fit the bill. No problem so far.
>
> The relay host requires authentication. I'd like to store the
> authentication details on client side - as non root user. Many client
> programs do that who invoke sendmail. But that doesn't give you queue
> ability.
>
> The daemon may need authnetication details not only at the time of
> submitting a mail to queue but also when it for example has to retry
> sending mails. This takes away the flexibility of specifying relay host
> and auth details entirely on client side.

You may find following link useful.
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/postfix-multiple-isp-accounts-smarthost-smtp-client/

> I don't think it's a totally unmeetable requirement technically, though I
> do not know of a daemon that provides this flexibility or how to configure
> one with such flexibility.

If you want to integrate the password update for smarthost smtp client with multiple isp accounts over STMP; so that it is transparent to MUA, you may need to write your own smtpd.

Following may be useful in that case.

http://docs.python.org/library/smtpd.html
http://www.doughellmann.com/PyMOTW/smtpd/
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1138425/add-smtp-auth-support-to-python-smtpd-library-cant-override-the-method