[PLUG] Fwd: [diaspune] "Debian Packagin session" (rubygems translation) at VIT, Pune

Praveen A pravi.a at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 23:50:09 IST 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: karim memon <abdulkarimmemon at gmail.com>
Date: 2011/9/21
Subject: [diaspune] "Debian Packagin session" (rubygems translation) at VIT,Pune

Hi all,
We are planning to keep a Debian Packaging  session at VIT this Sunday (25th
September) 11:00 am onwards. Main focus would be to help the pkg-ruby-extras
team in their current translations of ruby gems. Those who are new to
packaging or want their doubts cleared are also welcome :)

My Comments
It is actually transitions not translations :)

1. We have to use new and easy gem2deb tool to package ruby gems which
are packaged using old cdbs tool.
2. We have to add a few lines to debian/control to mention we are
renaming the package to fit new policy.
3. Make sure all tests run properly - which can be quite exciting if
you are lucky!

It just takes only one command to make a deb from a gem file, but real
fun starts after that!

There is a nice graph which shows current status of the transition
http://pkg-ruby-extras.alioth.debian.org/wheezy/ we have to move about
484 packages before wheezy release.

We will use http://piratepad.net/tu0H1eU2vH to coordinate.

Venue: