[PLUG] बेडियन फॉर नेटबुक्स...

मःसागरः o.s.h.o at guruvision.com
Tue Apr 17 13:21:23 IST 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Praveen A <pravi.a at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/4/14 मःसागरः <o.s.h.o at guruvision.com>:
>>> Any specific reason for you to chose LILO over grub?
>>
>> any specific purpose for which I should opt grub?
>
> grub is default, meaning it is preferred.

>>> How is it different? I guess all of them would be using network
>>> manager. But KDE would be doing it differently than GNOME.
>>
>> netapplet in kde has much better, cleaner handling than anything else,
>> is what I have found out over last 3-4 years... even better than wicd.
>
> ok. If you are going to give another try to debian, try the KDE version.
>
>> netbook amd64 (miscievously nicknamed "Am i Mad?") version... is what
>> i am after, will look at that location, but now it has may be at lower
>> priority... :-)
>
> I don't think there is a separate installer for netbooks.
>
> This is the KDE version of amd64 cd 1
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/6.0.4/amd64/iso-cd/debian-6.0.4-amd64-kde-CD-1.iso
>
>> That is exactly the point, even the good did not work for me, so look
>> how bad it will get if I start using gnome... :-)
>>
>> ubuntu handles gnome nicely, but then ubuntu is not debian :-)
>>
>> ubuntu could correctly pick the display drive resolution, while debian
>> left me at lower resolution...
>> that is the point!
>
> I suspect it is because Ubuntu is newer and that's why it has better
> hardware detection. If you are brave you can try debian testing or
> Linux Mint Debian Edition (which has one more layer of testing on top
> of debian testing).

thanks for your warm hearted efforts...

the story is getting very interesting with following results...
1. openSUSE failed to boot (load) properly.
2. mageia x86_64 could not find root device to mount and hence kernel
panic (while booting from harddisk loaded Mandriva, previously
installed which does not let me login due to bad x-configuration even
after sucessfull install.

so now the lowest priority is getting installed, and I do hope that
this exercize of mine does pay at-least a working kde setup...

on a side note, mandriva lilo could not be installed, and grub
installed by it, cannot be unseated by mageia is what is my conclusion
after filed attempt to load mageia, probably same applies to opensuse
since something similar was reported... so the while it may be a grand
unification, they don't play fair with others distributions for some
reasons which is interesting....

while last few years of my work lilo never gave me such an head ache, ever....