[PLUG] Identifying DD-WRT build for Linksys WRT54GL

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Sat Jul 14 18:10:18 IST 2012

My router Linksys WRT54GL running DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/15/06) std
(SVN revision 3932) is showing signs of some problems such as:

- Sometimes abruptly looses all settings requiring restoring them from
  backup

- Hangs abruptly

I'd like to see if firmware upgrade solves the problem, before thinking of
replacing the hardware.

Firstly, I assume dd-wrt is a good option. It worked well for me so for on
2 routers. So not thinking of other alternative firmwares.

Identifying the right build to flash is documented here - a highly
recommended thread called peacock thread:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51486

IMHO the thread is terribly organized and I could figure out only this
much so far:

I should use standard or mini version since my router has 4MB flash
I should stick to 2.4 kernel and not try to switch to 2.6

Beyond this I am having tough time figuring out the exact build to
download.

The cited download pages from above thread are having firmware for wr54g,
not GL and it is not clear whether it will suite the "L" version.

If anyone has gone through firmware upgrades recently, please suggest how
to to go about it.

Mayuresh.