[PLUG] [Bulk] [ talk ] [ discussion ] GNU/Linux Kernel - Internals - Anyone Interested?

Sunil Beta Baskar betasam at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 12:18:34 IST 2012

On 29 August 2012 23:09, Lalatendu Mohanty <then4way at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 August 2012 07:47 AM, Sunil Beta Baskar wrote:
>> After Neepen's talk I found that there is quite a lot of interest in
>> knowing GNU/Linux Kernel Internals (Kernel internals, device drivers,
>> design strategy, guidelines ...)
>>
>> I know a bit about how kernel design has been transforming from 2.4 to
>> 3.5 and further.
>> I can share this in a talk, keeping things simple to start with -
>> giving everyone an overview of the subsystems and their current
>> status.
>> I have some prior work I can re-use (all Open/Shared).
>>
>> If anyone is interested in both sides (sharing with others, or
>> learning [ I would like to understand a few pieces too ] ) do share
>> what you would like to learn.
>>
>> Hoping to hear everyone's thoughts on this,
>> Beta
>> -
>> sunilbetabaskar dot com slash contact dot html will show you I am not paranoid.

> Sunil,
>
> I will strongly encourage you for the session. Learning about internals
> is always interesting for newbie like me. A talk on  "how kernel design
> has been transforming from 2.4 to 3.5 and further" also sounds interesting.
>
> Thanks,
> Lalatendu Mohanty

I would prefer to schedule it as three sessions to start -
1. Building the Linux Kernel [ -stable- 3.5.x ] - Kconfig/Kbuild for newbies
2. Linux Kernel architecture transition from 2.6 to 3.5
3. Linux Kernel architecture - overview of sub-systems - basic
architecture for device drivers

I shall need help to select the right schedule and place for each of
the sessions.

Beyond the 3rd session, people who are experts in various subsystems
of the kernel could share more detailed information.

Comments and ideas are welcome.

Beta