[PLUG] udev rule working

Saurabh Shandilya saurabhshandilya.1991 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 16:02:04 IST 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Saurabh Shandilya
> <saurabhshandilya.1991 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > hello experts,
>
> I am been no means an expert on udev stuff.
>
> > I am kindof stuck at a point, and really need your help.
> >
> > I wrote a simple rule for my udev, which is as follows,
> > KERNEL=="sd?", ATTRS{idVendor}=="xxxx", ATTRS{idProduct}=="xxxx",
> > ATTRS{serial}=="-----", SYMLINK+="mydrive", RUN+="/home/beyond/runn.sh"
> >
> > &
> >
> > runn.sh is as follows:
> > #!/bin/sh
> > echo "it is being executed"
> > echo "writing to file" > /home/beyond/Downloads/abc.txt
> > /home/beyond/myfile
> > echo "done"
> >

> > Whenever I inserts my pandrive, I got the abc.txt file in my folder, but
> > not able to get the display of the echo  lines and also I am not able to
> > execute any other C program using this script.
> >

> The udev stuff happens in the background (daemon) so the std out/err
> goes to the log (if configured).   Try for each echo line:
>
> echo "blahh" 1> /some/file

echo'ng data to a file is working.

> > Kindly tell and help me out,
> > Udev is an user space process, so it executes the rules with super user
> > rights??
>
> Yes.
>
> > when the abc. txt file is executed, then why the echo commands are not
> > displayed & actually where are they expected to be displayed? I mean what
> > is the standard output of the echo command when such a file is executed?
>
> See above.
>
> > Also, the C program executable binary is not executed, ((myfile is a
> simple
> > opengl based green coloured window pop up))
>
> Have you checked it's perms?
>
> You can also check the KDE code for the USB pop up window.
>
> its basically a opengl based simple window pop up only created using C and
opengl libraries, Yes I have checked the perms.
other programs like 'notify-send' are not working .
I simply want to execute my C executable program.  The problem was that the
standard output is vague in this case so we have to log it, so I decided to
execute some file on Usb event, any simple C or Qt based program, but
nothing is being executed..
Is it something with the authorities of demon processes ??