[PLUG] [OT] UPS for a router

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Sun Aug 4 15:05:13 IST 2013

On Sun, Aug 04, 2013 at 12:23:42PM +0530, ????? wrote:

> What is compact according to you? 1cm x 1 cm x 1cm or 10 cm x 10 cm x 10 cm.

Well, I don't mind these dimensions...

I am struggling to find a product in the this class in the first place.
It's a question of making do with what is available than looking for
certain specifications.

> Can you share the details of the battery powered router which you are
> using? By performance,
> what do you mean? Speed is not as expected? Connectivity keeps dropping?
> etc.

I wrote a separate thread in PLUG on my experiences with Lava W150 as
against my older Linksys WRT54GL. Difficult to summarize though following
are some of the points:

All problems are on intranet with 3G modem and ISP not in picture at all

- Packet loss up to 30%
- Arbitrarily refusing to connect (ping/ssh/whatever) with another device.
  With nothing specifically done, letting connect after some time.
- Limited range. (Sorry, I'm not going to measure and tell.)
- I worked around these by using WRT54GL as a repeater bridge of W150

> Seems like you are look for
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC-to-DC_converter

Not at all. I think I clarified in a couple of posts before. I am looking
for a battery backed up DC supply (sort of UPS minus inverter) and if that
is not available a miniature UPS (1mm x 1mm x 1mm most welcome!).

Mayuresh