[PLUG] Ubuntu on Android - official release

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Fri Jan 4 19:25:10 IST 2013

On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 02:25:00AM -0500, anandn wrote:
> Have you considered the nexus devices? I am aware you have peculiar requirements, but the vanilla android experience is worth it. And most nexus devices are pretty decent in terms of the hardware. Galaxy nexus for one is still a great phone. Also not sure if you have considered pure Google tablets... Cyano is your other best bet.

Unfortunately I have purchased the devices already - an android phone and
a tablet.

I do have N900, but I don't use it as a phone. It works more as a
pervasive computing device on which the whole household now relies. (Will
take long describe what fun and joy it is to possess such a wonderful
device that can be easily programmed to realize your ideas that make a
difference to the whole family.)

I gave up the idea of doing anything like that with an Android phone
device within a matter of a week of buying it. It's a decent telephony
device, no doubt, and now I have learned to humbly use it as, well, a
phone. (That's what the device is called. Ain't it? So no complaints.)

However I got an android tablet recently, with which I expect to do
things. I mean, at the minimum connect with my laptop and get things done
using laptop's OS. But even this simple expectation is hard to meet.
Terminal IDE makes life somewhat bearable though.

> I use both iOS and Android devices in parallel, but android is what works well for me more in terms of hand helds (both for personal and corporate use). Especially if you have enjoyed using monta vista, ming, e6, and the n900. Do you still need to run your say score script?

I am amazed with the mention of sayscore. That reminds, I should probably
clean it up a bit and commit the changes. I think, with terminal IDE I
should be able to manage to run it.

> Great news about the ubuntu android port, but again not every body is a fan of ubuntu :-)

I am not an Ubuntu fan and have never used it. But any hint of semblance
with *nix will make me feel home on the device where I am stuck into
android right now.

Mayuresh.