[PLUG] Ubuntu on Android - official release

Devendra Laulkar devendralaulkar at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 22:36:00 IST 2013

Hi,

There were news of it being in the works. Now a finished version, with a
> video preview:
>

> http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2013-01/say-hello-mobile-ubuntu-coming-android-phone-near-you

I am looking forward for some sort of a ROM to play with - though it seems
they are targeting manufacturers.

> I am one of the lost *nixer lost in the Android jungle - extremely
> frustrated with 2 devices that I own. And hence this does sound like a ray
> of hope.

Any specific frustrations ? The android system has its way of doing things,
and it is frustrating to work with sometimes, but it does allow you to run
your own programs. Android has its own way of sharing data using Intents,
which I find to be interesting way to reuse programs. (See OpenIntents)

> Of course, a full classical *nix is not going to be useful as-is on a
> touch device. Adaption to touch hardware without loss of any of the
> classical *nix power is what is expected of such OS.

What additional things would you like to see in Android to give it *nix
superpowers :)

Cheers,
Devendra.