[PLUG] Ubuntu on Android - official release

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Sat Jan 5 12:29:46 IST 2013

On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 11:48:47PM -0500, anandn wrote:
> Mayuresh <mayuresh at acm.org> wrote:
> >I don't really understand your comment and it seems to be digressing. I
> >have one Maemo device as against 3 Android. Happy?
> I am aware of the devices you have and gave you alternatives for vanilla android experience.
>
> Definitely not meant to be disgressing. In fact I imagined going that route (buying all the remaining e6 phones in the market) when I found the e6 based on monta vista Linux and what I could do with it (similar to your time with the n900, though it being a much superior device than the e6). Perhaps you missed the smiley at the end :-)

I used the word digress - drifting away from the topic.

> Will not comment more, but recommend the XDA developers forums and drill down on the device you are using (if you haven't already).

If I find a platform will give me rich rewards I'll go after it and learn
whatever required. But I'll not do so just because the platform exists in
abundance.

For modern touch devices running android, main reason to be attracted to
them is their form factor (for my personal usage that is).

Now how do I benefit from these devices, while not conceding certain
advantages (elaborated before) of *nix platforms - is the main concern.

Options are:

1. Turn a normal user. Don't do any heroics: I accepted this for a phone,
though decided to be experimenting with a tablet.

2. Try to get *nixish capability on Android

A. Connect with a remote *nix machine for tasks where it is convenient to
do so.

I. Using ssh, where UI is not an issue. This part works fine as long as
heavy keyboard usage is not required.

II. Using xvnc, if UI were an issue. This is not working so well, with
android vnc client not providing virtual keyboard. I am hopeful this will
get addressed. (Pointers welcome.)

B. Run scripts etc. locally to the extent apps like terminal IDE allow:
This is severely limited in capability.

3. Be on the lookout for platforms such as ubuntu, cyanogenmod,
otherswhich can provide native *nix capability on android device: Yes,
definitely tuned to this space.

4. Develop native Android expertise.

It's probably the 4th one you'd advocate. I am open to 4 but I don't find
it as rewarding as 1-3. Basic reasons for this were elaborated in one of
my previous posts.

Mayuresh.