[PLUG] To moderate or to unmoderate

Koustubh Sinkar ksinkar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 11:34:48 IST 2013

> Dear Pluggies,
>
> We are all aware of the mailing list issues and various threads about the
> same.
>
> After going through them and considering list-members reactions, there
> were lot of discussions off-list with moderators and many others about
> the issues. Finally, the time has come to change things.
>
> This is the proposal for change from the current state of the list.
> Please do send your comments, suggestions.
>
> 1. All the users moderation flag (that is currently set) to be
> removed. Any new member joining the list will not get a moderation
> flag set.
>
> 2. All the current filters to be removed and started from scratch. Let
> us use the list of filters from Arun Khan's mail to start of the new
> filters list.
>
> 3. Any change (add/delete/modify) of filter and add/remove moderation
> flag for a list member and removing of any list member is to be done
> by voting. 15 votes in favour of the proposal required for approval.
> (eg. 20 votes in favour and 5 negative votes is OK)
>
> 4. There will be moderator/s but they will act only once in a week.
> This is considering that there will be hardly anything in moderation
> and
> there will be less filters applicable. Moderators identities will not
> be disclosed.
>
> 5. It is the responsibility of the list members to maintain the list
> active, vibrant and useful. If they feel that some member or post (top
> posting to be allowed or not?) is not appropriate, they should propose
> action against it and that will also be passed through voting.
>
> 6. Considering the above, it will be decided on the list itself if the
> list is to be declared moderated or un-moderated.
>
> 7. All these decisions will be posted on the PLUG website and will be
> updated according to the decisions on the list.
>
> RFC remains open till 31 Jan 2013, during which all the initial
> filters, moderation methods etc will be crystalised.
> After that, from Feb 1, 2013, the decisions will be implemented.
>
> Please start different thread for suggesting/approving/voting for
> filters or other actions. Currently, all these postings will also
> undergo current filter rules and moderation. Moderators will ensure
> that there is minimal delay in responding to these mails.
>
> Please comment/suggest on these points and/or any other things if you
> have in mind.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> --Sudhanwa Jogalekar
>

> ~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!
> web: www.sudhanwa.com  blog: www.sudhanwa.in
> Twitter: sudhanwa Check on FB, Linkedin for more.

I am against removing the moderation completely. I think the moderation
flag should be for newcomers or for the first 5 or 10 posts by any
newcomer. Once someone has posted 5 to 10 posts while under moderation,
then we can remove the moderation flag on her. If the list becomes
unmoderated, I would be unsubscribing from this list.

How do you propose to Vote for/against a post? This is a text based mailing
list and not some fully featured web application that has voting/liking
facilities. Although this idea of yours can be extended to create some kind
of mailing list protocol that can handle meta-information.

Ideally speaking crowd moderation is the best way to moderate public lists
like LUG's but is it feasible with just a mailing list without a lot of
noise/metainformation (read voting) being passed, which could also
degenerate into flame wars?

The IITD LUG practices that were posted earlier seem good and practical.

Finally -1 for list to be declared unmoderated.

Warm Regards
Koustubh Sinkar