[PLUG] ftp server with whom Windows ftp client would work

शंतनू shantanoo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 16:11:55 IST 2013

On 20/07/13 10:21 AM, Mayuresh wrote:
> Recently had a situation to try ftp client on Windows with vsftpd ftp
> server as well as classic Unix ftp server.
>
> Windows client draws strange errors like this, though Unix client is seen
> working fine with the server:
>
>  FTP error "425 Use PORT or PASV first.

Seems like on passive mode is off. Following may be useful.

===
$ ftp
ftp> passive
Passive mode: off; fallback to active mode: off.
ftp> passive
Passive mode: on; fallback to active mode: on.
===

Few useful links:
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=FTP+error+%22425+Use+PORT+or+PASV+first.&oq=FTP+error+%22425+Use+PORT+or+PASV+first
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1699145/what-is-the-difference-between-active-and-passive-ftp
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/System-Administration/FTP-error-quot-425-Use-PORT-or-PASV-first-quot/td-p/4072568

> Web searches show this to be an issue with the ftp client. Many of them
> conclude "don't use windows ftp client".
>
> I do not have control over the Windows machine. So can't install any
> alternative client / scp / cygwin etc.

Using scp/sftp is always recommended.

HTH.