[PLUG] UNetBootIn Curieawcity...

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 09:53:16 IST 2013

On 06/05/2013 01:56 AM, Arun Khan wrote:
> Before the days of hybrid ISOs, unetbootin had it's usefulness.
>
> To my knowledge today, Debian, openSUSE, and the *buntu ISOs are
> hybrid i.e. you can simple dd=ISO_file to a pendrive or a hard disk
> and it will boot!   No need for unetbootin.

Sort of.  If you want persistence or encryption or not want to allot the
entire usb key to the distribution but preserve existing data, you still
need a specialized tool. Tools also have additional built-in checks
which are handy.  Many users run dd against the wrong device and end up
losing data. Often distros themselves do provide such a tool however and
it might be better to use that.

Rahul