[PLUG] [ILUG-BOM] Fwd: [OT/HW] How to unglue AMD Phenom II from it's heat sink?

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 16:18:14 IST 2013

An update ...

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM, sudheer k Muhammed
<sudheerkmuhammed at gmail.com> wrote:
> this wiki how may be useful.....
>

> http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Processor-Fused-to-a-Heatsink
>
> as people have pointed out
>
> alcohol is used but it is not the one which is drank...
>
> its iso propyl alcohol ... electronics guys may remember this solution used
> to clean PCBs and evaporates in a miniute....

Thanks to many all with helpful suggestions.   The common thread was
to use Isopropyl alcohol.

The following link <
http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Processor-Fused-to-a-Heatsink>
suggested the isopropyl alcohol + heat gun method.

I tried the heat gun method first with care it did not work.

Then I switched to the alcohol method.  I kept  the CPU + headsink
submerged in "clinical spirit" (mostly isopropyl alcohol) for close to
16 hours.  I was hoping this would loosen the paste using the dental
floss method but no success!  The paste had spread to all the edges +
corner and I am not getting any gap to stick the floss in it.

On newegg.com, I read another user had similar problems with an AMD cpu.

--
Arun Khan