[PLUG] Github, pastebin blocked

Vikas Tara vik at hamaralinux.org
Thu Jan 1 21:20:51 IST 2015

> If you don't agree to their pricing, don't buy it.
I don't and neither does the parent in your example. But you are
pointing this out as a person with poor parenting skills, not me.

Actually I think that person is showing his child the technology of
today rather than making him fit in the box that the corporates want
you too.

You can carry on worshiping at the alter of consumerism if you choose
to, but I favor the chances of the other kid in the big wide world.

> Has anybody been
> appointed Grand Vizier of determining who has the right to charge how much,
> for how long, etc.?
Erm, yes, the free market - in which proprietary protocols are the
equivalent to economic trade barriers. Where barriers exist free market
pricing does
not work and therefore black markets crop up.

That is exactly what is happening here with the DVD format, it's being
used as a barrier to entry.

> If you get out of your fortified little world of pet notions some day
Pot, kettle, black..
> , you
> might realise that the person who finds a DVD to be an unnecessary expense
> may also find the cost of streaming media excessive, and we aren't even
> speaking of that other grouse, further curbs on consumer rights under a
> streaming / digital distribution model.
Streaming is incredibly cheap in comparison - it's just that
the media corps have not felt the Indian market lucrative enough
(because they can still sell them DVD's).

Elsewhere in the world we have netflix, hulu, amazon and everyone else
streaming content for less than the DVD cost.

Whichever way you look at it, DVD is old, outdated technology that
corporations are forcing on you because of the proprietary format
that enables them to heavily overcharge / charge differently in
different geographical regions. It does not favour the consumer and was
never supposed
to - or did you forget the rather pathetic DVD copy protection attempts?

We had VHS video tape before that - and for sure - everyone used to copy
video tapes.