[PLUG] iPod on Linux

Gustav Degreef gustav97 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 08:37:20 IST 2010

On 12/27/2010 08:37 AM, Ashok Sinha wrote:
> I am running Linpus Linux which Fedora based.
>
> I installed GTK PoD but it doesn't recognise my iPod shuffle 2GB. (4th gen?)
>
> Any suggestions. I tried going to GTK POD home page from
> the software "About" page. They did not have the time to really explain
> things to a newbie like me!
>
> I have downloaded the file but since it is not an RPM I don't know how to
> install it.
>

> Ashok Sinha

Gtkpod works great with the ipod.  However, before the first time it is used, the ipod has to be formatted as a FAT drive and not with the native Apple filesystem.  The first time the ipod is connected to iTunes it should be on a computer with MS Windows.  Itunes will automatically configure the ipod and format it's drive.  Then when you connect it to a linux machine, gtkpod will easily read and write to the device (a FAT drive), add playlists, etc.  However, if the first time you connect the ipod to an Apple machine, then iTunes will format the ipod drive with the native Apple
filesystem which gtkpod will not see.  But, from your mail, it seems like you have a gtkpod tar file and not a gtkpod rpm.  If I understand right, then you do not yet have gtkpod installed, you only downloaded it.  I suggest that you get an rpm of gtkpod from a Fedora repository or from rpmfind website, etc.  Get an rpm of gtkpod that closely matches your distro.  I don't know which version of your distro you are using, or which version of Fedora will be closest to that, but with a bit of googling, you should be able to find out.  Then install the rpm, either from the command line, or using your distros' package management system. Best wishes, Gustav