[PLUG] Tata Indicom Photon+ configuration (Olive V-ME101)

Shyamgopal Kundapurkar kundapurkar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 21:53:28 IST 2010

/ets/usb_modeswitch.conf contains only generic configuration options for
usb_modeswitch.

what you should look for, is a file called "12d1:1446" under the directory
/etc/usb_modeswitch.d/   if the USB device you want to "switch" has
idVendor=12d1 and idProduct=1446.
if your vendor id is 201e and product id is 2009, then you should use the
following command to do the "switch".

usb_modeswitch   -c  /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/201e:2009

usb_modeswitch needs libusb and libusb-compat. both of these libraries need
to be able to see devices under /proc/bus/usb

if you see an empty /proc/bus/usb , then your kernel has been compiled with
sysfs support (/sys/bus/usb) and NO usbfs support (/proc/bus/usb)

there is no straightforward solution to this, as (not all) usb subsystems
and devices have been moved to sysfs. so, as a hack you can compile the
usbfs support statically into the kernel (kernel config ---> device drivers
---> usb support ---> usb device file system (deprecated) ),
reboot with the new kernel and say
# mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb

or add the line

none            /proc/bus/usb             usbfs        defaults   0   0

to /etc/fstab for mounting usbfs always. please note that earlier usbdevfs
is now known as usbfs to differentiate it from devfs.

once that is done, every USB device inserted should appear under
/proc/bus/usb

once these devices start appearing, then you can use "lsusb -vvv" or
"usb-devices" meaningfully. thats when usb_modeswitch will work, NOT
otherwise.

once the USB device in question (what is idVendor=201e and idProduct=2009
????) is "switched" properly, you can modprobe its actual device driver
properly.

hope this helps.