[PLUG] Computer slows after some time

श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Tue Sep 25 19:20:37 IST 2007

On Tuesday 25 Sep 2007 18:58:15 Vikas Garud wrote:
> The process table shows about 100 processes, used memory about 1,000,000KB
> and free memory, about 20000 KB.  Swap - about 1,980,000KB used and about
> 120,000 KB free.  It also shows the process with update-status with maximum
> system % - fluctuating in the rage on 5% to 30%, followed by ksysguard, and
> xgl.

I have not used suse anytime, but searching around the internet looks like zmd
problem.

http://drwetter.org/suse10.1/report.suse-10.1.html
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=531997
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=483059

The last link gives you steps to remove zmd.

By any chance, zmd is the process which largest rss number? Sort on memory
column in top/kpm and check.

HTH
 Shridhar

PS. Am I glad that I am using slackware? :)