[PLUG] Anyone using / can advise on FreeBSD/NetBSD?

Sriram Narayanan sriramnrn at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 18:43:08 IST 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Mayuresh <mayuresh at acm.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 11:54:56AM +0530, Amarendra Godbole wrote:
> > Oh, and missed one very important point:
> > * OpenBSD is not determined to dominate the world, and fast.
> >
> > -Amarendra
>
> Thanks. That was a very good summary.
>
> Also thanks to an earlier post by Shridhar on FreeBSD.
>
> I happen to have tried out both FreeBSD and NetBSD in the meantime. I will
> post my experiences in a separate mail.
>
> Can you just clarify above statement? You meant OpenBSD is determined or
> not to be fast?!
>
> Till now my impression of OepnBSD is the word security. Well I appreciate
> that where it is needed, though I am looking for a regular desktop that's
> not exposed to internet and is for personal use.
>
> Now, if OpenBSD is not _only_ about security, as compared to other BSD

You may want to try out OpenIndiana, which is based on the OpenSolaris
kernel. There's also Belenix, which is presently a bit outdated compared to
OpenIndiana, but that is something that we're working on (e.g. we're moving
to rpm5 and will make releases again).

OpenIndiana's kernel is based on OpenSolaris, and will soon be based on the
Illumos kernel (a fork of the OpenSolaris kernel).

When I next visit Pune, I could give a demo of various features of the
opensolaris/illumos kernel which would appeal to developers and users.

-- Sriram